The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong was first established as a Consulate in March 1947 by then Vice Consul Emilio D. Bejasa. By special arrangement with the American Consulate General in Hong Kong, the Consulate conducted business at the office of the former at the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Building. On August 1, 1947, the Consulate's office was moved to the Filipino Club House in King's Park in Kowloon. Three months later, it transferred to the Marina House at Queen's Road, Hong Kong.
Following the closure of the Philippine Legation in Nanking in 1949 and Philippine consular posts in Shanghai and Amoy, the post's workload increased significantly. With the ensuing expansion of its staff complement, the Consulate transferred in 1956 to a bigger office space at No. 901 Tower Court Building, Hysan Avenue in Causeway Bay.
In 1958, the Consulate was elevated to the status of a Consulate General with Ambassador Eduardo Rosal as the first Consul General.
The Consulate's ever-increasing volume of business transactions necessitated yet another transfer on June 1, 1966 to the more spacious Lee Gardens Building nearby. Consul General Carlos A. Faustino headed the new office, followed by Consul General Simeon Roxas. Consul General Rafael A. Gonzales succeeded Consul General Roxas in 1970, followed by Consul General Felicidad Bengzon-Gonzales in 1976. On October 1, 1977, the Consulate transferred the office to the 8th floor of the Hang Lung Bank Building, 8 Hysan Avenue, Causeway Bay.
Consul General Vicente G. Reyes headed the post from July 1986 to January 1990. During his tenure, the Consulate moved to the 21st and 22ndfloors of the Regent Centre at Queen’s Road Central. He was succeeded by Consul General Antonio P. Villamor whose tour of duty covered the period March 1990-October 1993.
As more Consulate staff and attached service personnel were assigned to Hong Kong to attend to the growing number of the Filipino community and to promote the country's interests, the next Consul General, Ofelia B. Castano, transferred the Consulate to Room 602, 6th Floor United Centre Building, 95 Queensway in 1994. Consul Farita Aguilucho served as Acting Head of the Consular Post from 1995 until February 1996 when Consul General Estrella A. Berenguel assumed her post as head of the Philippine Consulate General.
Following the handover of Hong Kong from the United Kingdom to the People's Republic of of China effective 1st July 1997, the Governments of the People's Republic of China and the Republic of the Philippines signed an agreement on 26 November 1996 for the maintenance and continued operation of the Philippine Consulate General in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Thus, Consul General Berenguel became the first Consul General of the Philippines to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region starting July 1, 1997.
Ms. Maria Zeneida Angara Collinson succeeded Ms. Berenguel as Consul General of the Philippines in Hong Kong when the former assumed her post on 21 August 1999. Upon Consul General Collinson’s initiative, the Consulate moved to its present location at the 14th Floor of the United Centre Building, 95 Queensway, Admiralty, under a lease-purchase arrangement.
Consul General Victoria S. Bataclan succeeded Ms. Collinson and held office briefly before being assigned as ambassador to Sweden.
Consul General Bataclan was succeeded by Consul General Corazon L. Belmonte-Jover, who was Head of Post from December 2003 to January 2006.
Consul General Belmonte-Jover was succeeded by Consul General Alejandrino A. Vicente, who was Head of Post from January 2006 to February 2009.
Consul General Vicente was succeeded by Consul General Claro S. Cristobal, who was Head of Post from February 2009 to December 2011.
Consul General Noel Servigon was Head of Post from January 2012 to December 2013.
Consul General Servigon was succeeded by Consul General Bernardita L. Catalla, who was Head of Post from June 2014 to December 2017.
Consul General Antonio A. Morales assumed his duties as Head of Post in Hong Kong on January 2018.